When looking at used cars, everyone wants to find a reliable and affordable option. Something that can get them to and from their destinations in any road condition, without the risk of breaking down along the way. But more than that, people want a vehicle that matches their personality. They want something comfortable, safe, and with style to please.
When you’re looking at used cars, how can you make sure that you’ve found the right fit?
We suggest writing down a list of criteria. From there, make sure you’ve got all the boxes checked off before you purchase.
Here are our 5 keys to buying a used car:
1. Inspect the Exterior – The first thing you want to do when looking at a used vehicle is take a complete 360 degree walk around it. Inspect the body closely to look for any dents, paint chips, or rust. It’s also vital to look underneath the vehicle for any damage to the undercarriage. Pop the hood and make sure the engine is clean and that there isn’t any corrosion.
2. Check the Mileage – You need to make sure that the numbers on the odometer match what the vehicle’s listing stated. Once you’ve verified this, ask the seller if the vehicle was used in a city or on the highway. Heavy mileage within a city can wear down on parts such as brakes, spark plugs, and the vehicle’s battery.
3. Inspect the Interior – Check to make sure there isn’t any damage to the seats, the center console, and even the trunk. Look for stains, water damage, and faulty lights or instrumentation. More than this, make sure that you’re comfortable. Ask yourself: “Can I see myself driving this vehicle every day?”
4. Verify the Safety Features – Turn the vehicle on to make sure that there aren’t any dashboard indicators for faulty airbags or problems with the anti-lock braking system (ABS). This aspect may take some online research as well, but you need to make sure that your vehicle passes all the safety tests.
5. Take a Test Drive – Go for a long and thorough test drive -- the seller won’t mind (and if they do, that’s a red flag). You need to check the vehicle’s acceleration, make sure it can perform at high speeds, test the brakes, and ensure that there aren’t any performance concerns.
This list will help ensure that your vehicle is the right choice.
Want something that meets all the requirements? Visit Sound Ford Renton in Seattle, Washington, and we’ll help you find the perfect match.