If you’re interested in purchasing a used vehicle, there’s a lot of questions that should come to mind. You need to take every precaution to ensure that whatever car you decide to purchase doesn’t turn out to be a lemon within a few days of driving it.
There's a massive variety of cars, trucks, and SUVs today, and they all come in different shapes, colors, and sizes. When you include the plethora of features and technology built into most modern-era vehicles, it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed. Sometimes, the biggest dilemma that arises when you start looking for a used vehicle is just deciding on the most important questions to ask.
That’s why we’ve put together this quick cheat sheet of 10 vital questions to ask before you buy a pre-owned vehicle. If you stick to this list, you’ll start yourself off on sure footing:
1. Why is the dealer and/or person selling the car?
2. How long have they had the vehicle and who did the seller purchase it from?
3. What is the overall condition of the car and what is the current mileage?
4. Has anything on the vehicle ever been replaced? Why?
5. Does the seller have the original bill of sale?
6. Did the seller perform regular oil changes and maintenance? Do they have the paperwork to prove it?
7. Does the seller have a CarProof Report?
8. Are there any outstanding recalls on the vehicle?
9. Can you clearly see the VIN?
10. Does the vehicle have any of the original manufacturer’s warranty left? If so, is it transferable?
If you’re satisfied with the answers that the seller gives, it’s time to take a test drive. If you’re unsatisfied or the seller can’t answer this list of questions, it might be time to look elsewhere.
Want to cut out the hassle of buying a used vehicle? Visit us at Sound Ford Renton, Seattle, and we’ll make your life much easier. We’ve got a wide selection of pre-owned vehicles ready to hit the road.